Meta menu:

From here, you can access the Emergencies page, Contact Us page, Accessibility Settings, Language Selection, and Search page.

Open Menu

Erasmus Students from Abroad

Welcome to Berlin! We would like to compliment you on the decision to come to the Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin within the ERASMUS program.

You are here:

Incoming Students

The Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin (Joint Medical Faculty of Freie Universität and Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin) cooperates with 71 partner universities within the ERASMUS program.

Medical students from ERASMUS partner institutions should contact their local ERASMUS representative first to inquire about application procedures. As soon as approval is given, the application to the Charité can begin.

The information on these pages (please refer to the topics on the left) should help you prepare your period of study, so that you find your way around the big city und the universities. After a few days in Berlin you will find that Berlin is an exciting and interesting city which meets the expectations of students from abroad. The difficult and confusing first days will soon be forgotten.

ChIC (Charité International Cooperation) will support you during your stay in Berlin. The decision whether you are enrolled at Humboldt-Universität or Freie Universität depends on the ERASMUS Bilateral Agreements. This is merely an organizational matter because all medical students study at the Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin.

Please come and see us immediately after your arrival, so we can discuss the further proceedings. We will do our very best to assist you with any questions and problems you may encounter.

Application and first steps

First of all, contact the ERASMUS coordinator or International Office at your home university to inquire about the opportunities and procedures. 

... once you are selected by your university

Step 1: Read through these pages thoroughly!

Step 2: Decide which courses you want to take. For your first information see the plan of modules; you can find detailed information in the Study Guide for International Students.

When choosing the courses make sure that you do not take too many in one semester - 30 ECTS in one semester is the most you will be able to do.

Instead of courses, some students are interested in doing clinical rotations (in German "Famulatur"), also called elective, clerkship or practical training. Please note that these clinical rotations end without an exam and without any grades. For one full week you get 1,5 ECTS points.

Step 3: Our university requires a standardized German language test of each student. You find it on the Website of the "Sprachenzentrum". A minimum of 60 points is required, below this, you have to pass a language course. You will receive the results via email, which you either forward to us or print out and send  to us along with your application form. Please note the special requirements at Language!

Step 4: Fill out the University  the Learning Agreement, add the language test result as well as the up-to-date "Transcript of Records" (signed by your coordinator!), and send the documents to

Charité International Cooperation
Ms. Nikola Lepom
Campus Charité Mitte - Reinhardtstr. 58
D-10117 Berlin, Germany
or by email

Step 5: In case you want to apply for accommodation in student housing, please make sure that you hand in the application form on time (see "Accommodation"). If you have any questions about this, please directly contact the person mentioned on the accommodation form.

Step 6: Respect our deadline: June 1st for both winter and summer term

Step 7: You will receive an email from international-students(at)  with your schedule, usually in by the end of July/beginning of August for the winter term and by the end of February/beginning of March for the summer term.

... what to bring to Berlin

  • National identity card or Passport. Please make sure that both documents are valid for the entire duration of your intended stay in Germany.
  • Visa (only for non-EC citizens!) - Students from non-EC countries (except Switzerland, Norway and Iceland) must apply for a visa. The required certification that you are going to study in Berlin can be obtained from our office (Ms. Cernitori). A 3-month tourist visa is NOT sufficient, you have to apply for a "Visum für Studienzwecke" at the German Embassy in your home country. (for addresses see
  • Proof of health insurance (European health insurance card)
  • Proof of registration at your home university (i.e. student card)
  • International Student Card (helpful, but not required)

Please bear in mind that living expenses in Berlin might be higher than in your home country. Students need to have at least 700 euros per month!

Please come and see us immediately after your arrival (mind our office hours!), so we can discuss the further proceedings like registration at the university, police registration, etc.